Wednesday 20 March 2013

Job

(I won't be naming any companies just so I can be at least a bit anonymous here. Try not to mention them in the comments either, if you feel inclined to comment. Thanks)

Last week I was encouraged by a few people to go ahead and put my resume in for a job that seemed way beyond my abilities. I got my resume in on the last day it was due (because I procrastinate, of course). Two days later I got a call from my supervisors boss saying she would like to chat with me about another opportunity. Yikes.... so I call her back and she explains that besides the job opening that I applied for, another counsellor in the same job is taking a 2-3 month paternity leave and would I like to cover that for him. Holy cow.... I didn't think I'd actually GET the job! I'm nevous/excited/flattered/nervous etc. Honestly, I don't know what to do! I don't have any experience as an actual counsellor and its been a few years since those university courses. I'm apprehensive because I don't want to seem like I don't know what I'm doing! duh! I'm super flattered because they thought of me. I've probably only worked about 100 hours with the company and yet they thought to offer this job to me (although very possible there was no one else). I'm excited because next week is my last week at my retail job. I probably will miss it and I definately won't quit but I'll have to take a leave because there's no way I can work from 8:30-5:00 Mon - Friday and then want to work in retail on my Saturday. If that's what I need to do to keep the job, well, I'll do it but I'd rather not. I'm really happy that I have this short term learning opportunity because no matter what, it can't be a bad thing. Even if I don't go on, it will still be a good learning experience and resume builder. I'm excited that this seems to be a big turn in my life. This is what I've gone to school for. This is the job that I've said I was waiting for. Now it all seems so surreal and I'm wondering what in the world to expect and what have I been expecting. For a long time I've felt embarrassed and pitied for not having a "real" job, until I came to terms with that. Now I'll have the job that will seem like career material.... ewww... a career. I don't know what to think of that. I'm really going to miss my free mornings and days off during the week. The commute is going to be a bit brutal but the pay raise will make it worth it. Plus I'll be driving while 2 of my favourite radio shows will be on.
I met with the guy that's going on pat. leave today for a few hours. It was really really good to chat with him. Some was formal chatting some informal. He went through some counselling counselling but also encouraged me. He empowered me.... he gave me confidence and a lot of excitement to start this new thing in my life. He cautioned me not to get burnt out and to make sure that I really follow up on gardening and horticulture therapy directions for both personal reasons and carreer reasons.
This really has hit me like a brick wall. I wasn't expecting it or really looking for it. And it's so sudden. I need to find my boss and tell him I need to leave. I really don't want to tell my co-workers first so I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut. Then.... I need a new wardrobe... and shoes. Oh boy!! Good thing I have a few days off next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment